Welcome to Meaford
Welcome to the Town of Meaford! Known as “The Other Big Apple”, the town prides itself on its rich agricultural history as well as in their exciting annual events and local theatre scene. Located on the shores of Georgian Bay, Meaford is a picturesque, small waterfront town. One thing the town is known for is its exception theatre scene. The Meaford Hall, home to the famous Meaford International Film Festival (MIFF) and to some of the best concerts, plays, and performances in the area.
During the summer months, the local Harbour is booming with activity, with boaters and anglers enjoying the warm weather. In the fall Scarecrows take over for the famous scarecrow invasion. During the winter, the scenery is picture-perfect, as snow gently covers the streets. The Window Unveiling and Santa Claus Parade are two annual events in town that perfectly set the mood for Christmas.
September Real Estate Market Report for Meaford
The Municipality of Meaford saw a 71% jump in the number of new residential listings in September, 10 more than in each of August and July, and a solid 20% increase over September 2020. September’s sales topped August’s by 26%. Compared with September of 2020, there were 14% more homes sold this year. The sales to listing ratio in September was 50-50, perfectly balanced. Nearly 40% of home sales in the Municipality of Meaford were in the one million dollar plus price range, bringing the average sale price to just below $950,000 in September, up more than $45,000 from last month.
Acorn Montessori Pre School – Thornbury
Beaver Valley Community School – Thornbury
Georgian Bay Secondary School – Meaford
École St. Vincent-Euphrasia Elementary School – Meaford
École Meaford Community School – Meaford
Meaford Public Library
General & Marine Hospital – Collingwood
Meaford General Hospital
Explore each section below to see some of our favourite local spots. You can choose from Arts & Culture, Local Businesses that we love, Outdoor Recreational Activities and Natural Treasures!
A Brief History
- First settled by David Miller in 1835 and named Peggy’s Landing after his wife.
- In 1845 the surveyed village site was named after Meaford Hall, the residence of Sir John Jervis, the 1st Earl St. Vincent
- John Muir arrived in late 1864
- Public School was built in 1868
- 1872 the first train arrived.
- Incorporated into a town in 1874 with a population of 1700 people
- High School was built in 1890
- Beautiful Joe was written by Margaret Marshall Saunders based upon her visit to Meaford in 1892
- 1901 Harbour was completed
- 1907 Beaver Brand Hardwood Flooring was trademarked
- 1922 Meaford gained hydro electricity and paved roads
- 1942 Tank Range built (now called Land Forces Central Area Training Centre)
- 1966 Dial telephone systems are available