Welcome to Meaford
Welcome to the Town of Meaford! Known as “The Other Big Apple”, the town prides itself on its rich agricultural history as well as in their exciting annual events and local theatre scene. Located on the shores of Georgian Bay, Meaford is a picturesque, small waterfront town. One thing that Meaford is known for is its exception theatre scene. The Meaford Hall, home to the famous Meaford International Film Festival (MIFF) and to some of the best concerts, plays and performances in the area.
During the summer months, Meaford’s Harbour is booming with activity, with boaters and anglers enjoying the warm weather. In the fall Scarecrows take over for the famous scarecrow invasion. During the winter, Meaford scenery is picture-perfect, as snow gently covers the streets. The Window Unveiling and Santa Claus Parade are two annual events in Meaford that perfectly set the mood for Christmas.
Meaford Community Profile
February Real Estate Market Report for Meaford
In the Municipality of Meaford, there was a decrease in the number of new listings by about 40% compared to January 2021. When compared to February of 2020, listings are down by 266%. The number of sales improved substantially over January, 242%. On a year-over-year basis, sales in February almost doubled those in 2020. This area also saw a reversal in the numbers, with a ratio of 1 listing for every 3 sales, compared to roughly 2 listings for every sale last year. The majority of the sales in Meaford in February were in the 4-5 hundred thousand dollar range.
Acorn Montessori Pre School – Thornbury
Beaver Valley Community School – Thornbury
Georgian Bay Secondary School – Meaford
École St. Vincent-Euphrasia Elementary School – Meaford
École Meaford Community School – Meaford
Meaford Public Library – Meaford
Meaford Museum – Meaford
General & Marine Hospital – Collingwood
Meaford General Hospital – Meaford
Explore each section below to see some of our favourite local spots. You can choose from Arts & Culture, Local Businesses that we love, Outdoor Recreational Activities and Natural Treasures!
A Brief History
- First settled by David Miller in 1835 and named Peggy’s Landing after his wife.
- In 1845 the surveyed village site was named after Meaford Hall, the residence of Sir John Jervis, the 1st Earl St. Vincent
- John Muir arrived in late 1864
- Public School was built in 1868
- 1872 the first train arrived.
- Incorporated into a town in 1874 with a population of 1700 people
- High School was built in 1890
- Beautiful Joe was written by Margaret Marshall Saunders based upon her visit to Meaford in 1892
- 1901 Harbour was completed
- 1907 Beaver Brand Hardwood Flooring was trademarked
- 1922 Meaford gained hydro electricity and paved roads
- 1942 Tank Range built (now called Land Forces Central Area Training Centre)
- 1966 Dial telephone systems are available