It’s finally happening! The long-awaited, highly anticipated construction of the new Markdale Hospital is officially underway!!
It seems almost surreal, after years of dedicated fundraising and community involvement, on Monday, March 1st, 2021 construction of the new $68 Million “State-of-the-Art” hospital began.
We recall speaking with Gary Sims in November about this incredible leap forward for our community. Gary spoke about the timeline, indicating that, “we are at stage 4.2…[when] we put our a Request for Proposal, the contractors bid and that results in a contractor being chosen based on very strict criteria. The board then chooses a proposed contractor and awaits approval from the ministry who has about 90 days to respond.” As we can see, with this big news for March, the board is right on track and we are beginning to see this dream come to fruition.
Once this build is complete, Grey County will see an amazing new facility with:
- A modern, 24/7 emergency department with four exam and treatment areas that will provide improved space for staff and patients
- Four short-stay beds better adapted to new non-surgical procedures and one palliative care bed, that will replace traditional inpatient beds
- A bigger space to double outpatient care and expanded procedural services including minor procedures
- Access to clinical laboratory and diagnostic imaging services, ambulatory clinics, space for visiting specialists and inter-professional teams, and expanded telemedicine services
- An ambulance bay for two ambulances.
With construction starting this month, the town and committee buzz with much excitement. The build is scheduled to be complete in the next few years, with doors opening in 2023.
With the end in sight and we would like to extend our own personal thanks to everyone who had a hand in making this dream a reality for our community. This could not have been done without you.